2019-01-14

Sigh.

Don't Sigh! I went to the annual Dontosai Festival at my local Shrine/Temple (Yakushidou) where people gather to toss their old New Year's decorations in a giant bonfire and pray for good health and fortune.






For dinner, I ate a savoury pancake called an Okonomiyaki. The lineup was really long though that gave me a chance to watch it being prepared.



The finished product.



While in line, I espied a mini-parade of dudes in white and snapped a quick pick.


I've gone to Dontosai before (here and here) and both times I didn't get to see the half-naked guys traipsing around in loincloths. This time, I went earlier and was fortunate enough to witness Hadaka-Mairi, and witnessed some loinclothed men and ladies.






I'd always heard that it was a guy-thing, I never expected to see young gals doing it.

On the way home, a tiny bakery was doling out amasake, a super-sweet porridge. Pretty good but similar to putting way too much sugar in you oatmeal.


A nice festival to witness, I'll probably go in another 3 years.

Addendum: officially pissed off. It took ages to upload those videos above and none of them show up! Grrr...
Now I have to upload them to YouTube and then paste them here. Sigh!

4 comments:

Bob Johns said...

This looks really cool what is the youtube link so I can check out the videos. I have always had trouble uploading to Blogger.

Michael Jones said...

I tried to upload directly from my phone to Blogger. It has worked before but this time it didn't. I'll need to upload to YouTube later and replace the vids.

Shiroi Raven said...

This is a grreat post thanks

Michael Jones said...

Thank you, Shiroi...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails