2024-10-06

Fox Fire Folks!

I'm way behind in the Countdown because I spent several hours driving to and from Morioka for a wedding and a nerdy shopping spree. I finally got home a few minutes before midnight and decided to mellow out rather than start a blog entry. AND today, I spent 8 hours watching a Hammer Horror Dracula Movie Marathon rather than start a blog entry. AND I was just going to start when my monitor decided to act up, and prevented me from starting a blog entry. AND that's way too much background info.

Without further ado, here I go. I'm going start with my Yokai entry because it's a cool one a hot one! Kitsunebi or foxfire is which  is named for the magical kitsune who are said to create it. Kitsunebi appears as a mass of floating orbs of light, usually only a few centimeters in diameter and less than a meter above the ground. The orbs are as bright as lanterns and, in most cases, appear red or orange; although they are sometimes blue-green.

 For those of you too lazy to click the above link, here's some more info. Kitsunebi are formed by foxes, which breath the ball of fire out from their mouths and use it to light their way at night. It is most often a sign that a large number of kitsune are nearby—often lighting yōkai events such as the night parade of one hundred demons, yōkai wedding ceremonies, and other processions or meetings.

Wikipedia goes even further. Although the Yokai Finder states they're from Miyagi, there isn't an specific area mentioned and they can be found all over Japan.

 

I just happen to have a few foxes around my room I can share right now. I picked up this Fox mask a few weeks back with the expectation that I'll gift it to a friend. Trying it on, it isn't a practical mask at all, one can barely see. It will make a fine wall hanging though.


I have a few Gatcha foxes old and new just within a stone's throw of my bedroom.


And I bought a handful of bags full of stuff to use as stocking stuffers for my students. This I'll keep for myself. I don't know much anything about Naruto, but this towel of a Nine-tailed Kitsune Yokai is pretty cool.

Alas, I'm neglecting my Junji Ito entries and once again, some more ad screencaps will have to do for now.








Hey that last entry has a link to the store hakabanogarou. Whew, some of those are pricey!

Let's see if I have any comics related to foxes. 


Mr. Monster is fighting a Werewolf there, it could be a Werefox?


The Fox of the Baskervilles?


The Beast is looking rather vulpine there, isn't he?

My friend Alex is writing Haiku for September and October. I need to scam some of those. In the meantime, here is halloween horror haiku in which I can't detect any poems, just lots of other cool stuff.

That's about it for yesterday's entry. I think I'll write today's tomorrow.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails