2019-09-05

A Remote Chance.

I picked up the first volume of the "Build Your Own Giant Remote Controlled Godzilla Model" by the fine folks at DeAgostini the other day. I was hesitant to fork out the 5 bucks it'd take to purchase and then I saw it for only 300 yen in a BookOff and a sale was made!


Volume 1 is only 490 + tax and with it you receive his head and upper palate with tongue and teeth. It also comes with a fairly informative DVD on: how to assemble, a making of , an interview with original model maker Eizo Kaimai by Gojira expert and sculptor Yuuji Sakai, and a gallery. I tried to upload a minute of it but was unsuccessful.



Above is the aforementioned interviewer and interviewee.
Below is a minute-long video that is similar to what I tried to upload.




If you have 24 minutes to spare, here are three big nerds talking about the model.




There's also a mini-booklet that includes a centerfold of the Big G himself.


Here's an x-ray of what it should look like when near completion.



Above is the beginning of the Godzilla Chronicle which is probably an ongoing entry in future volumes. Below is an excerpt from research that goes into detail on the DVD.


Here's a closeup of the head. I doubt whether I'll ever put it together, I'm too afraid of wrecking it.


The next volume will cost 1900 yen and I think you get a few body parts in each volume for the next 90 weeks at that price. I don't think I'll buy any more volumes, even if I had any competency in model assembly whatsoever, it'd still cost me nearly 171,000 yen (~1800$) and I won't even get all the parts until August 2020! The good news is, I scored a little tube of bond, that alone is almost worth the 3 bucks I spent.


The above blog entry is dedicated to Stephen D. Sullivan whose birthday just happens to be today. Check out his website and maybe buy one of his books.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails