2019-10-14

Rain Delay.

As you may know, Japan is hosting the World Cup of Rugby right now. We also were in the thick of a mega-typhoon, known as Haggis Hagibis. As a result a few of the Rugby matches were cancelled or delayed. Canadian Rugbiers (is that a term?) couldn't participate in their game so instead they engaged in a typically Canadian enterprise, helping out.



In other Rugby news, Japan is doing quite well and have become quarter finalists for the first time after a win over Scotland.



Enough sporting news. The typhoon also took the lives of at least 33, 19 are still missing, and caused extensive flooding and mudslide damage wherever it struck. If you have the means to do so, please donate to the Red Cross to help the victims here.

Here are some photos taken by a friend showing the aftermath today.








On a more personal note, I had to drive two hours north to preside over a wedding in Morioka because all the Shinkansen Bullet Trains were cancelled. Fortunately, the rain didn't start until after the wedding but just in time for my drive home. All reports from friends in Sendai were warnings of  evacuations and I was not looking forward to the drive back. Surprisingly after an hour on the road, my wedding booker called me and asked me if I could do two more weddings on Sunday because the previously scheduled preacher couldn't make it. Since I was already in the neighbourhood, it wasn't a problem for me. So I stayed in a Hotel in Kitakami and spent a sleepless night from 12:00 - 3:00 listening to rain pelt down and then from 3:00 - 6:00 listening to the incredibly strong winds rattling the rafters. By the time I left the hotel, it was sunny and it was a beautiful day all day! My final wedding had this as part of its display.


I did manage to get some Otaku-shopping done but alas, didn't buy much at all. I'm still on the lookout for volumes of the Eko Eko Azarak Manga, anime or movies to no avail. Here is the latest postcard instead.


I've also run out of colour pictures and have to resort to creepy Black and White ones instead.

The Mandai-clone in Morioka had a pretty good Halloween display in its lobby.






And on the staircase leading to the goods is a Human-sized Godzilla plush.


Apart from a couple of toys for a friend, I didn't buy much there. I did score a book of postcards for Howl's Moving Castle and the first volume of the Princess Mononoke Film Comic.

 

At the Kitakami Mandai-clone, was a less impressive Halloween display.


I like the above. Creepy and eerie.


I've never been able to figure out why Pumpkins should have a biblical quote on them!


I asked some young gal to snap a pic of me in the big bad wolf mask. I didn't want to spend the bucks to buy it.


I won a poop pumpkin at UFO Catcher.


And a Marvel t-shirt in only two tries!


These A-3 sized posters are actually booklets that hold a Blu-Ray of the movie for only 10 bucks each.

 

The following three movies were 200 yen each or three for 500.

 

There wasn't much else so I got this as my third video. From what I recall, I think I overspent.


A display at McDonalds. I'm disappointed that they don't have a specialty burger or fries this year. I guess nobody ate the Squid-ink burgers from a few years back.


This is all they had left at Costco. I didn't get it.


Check out a fellow Cryptkeeper at Cult of the Great Pumpkin.
See ya tomorrow, since there was a rain delay on this weekend's blogging.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails