2019-10-10

Happy Me no Hi.

October 10th is a special day for a couple of reasons. As one student pointed out to me, it's EYE DAY (目の日 = me no hi. "me" sounds like "may") because 10/10 looks like a pair of eyes.


It's also National Cake Decorating Day and World Mental Health Day but neither of those pertain to moi. Me no Hi can also refer to the Day of Me (me as in the first singular personal pronoun, pronounced as "Do Re Mi"). Why is October 10th particularly important to me? Because it was on this date TWENTY YEARS ago that I first stepped off a plane and landed at Narita Airport beginning my two decade (so far) life as a teacher in Japan. To celebrate that auspicious occasion, I did something unusual and went to Izumi Mandai for a bit of Otaku Shopping.
(Say, Michael. Don't you go there regularly anyway?
Quiet you!)

I treated myself to a purple Rodan made in '93 by Bandai. It cost me ten bucks and that link is selling one for 55$ so I think I made out all right. (Too bad mine isn't Mint with Card.)



After my purchase, I was given one free shot at UFO Catcher, which is a great gimmick for you to waste your coins after your freebie.


Surprisingly, I won this guy in only 7 tries including the freebie.





I also scored a couple of Titans for 50 yen!


They hang around nicely on my Godzilla cup.


After that I went to a nearby BookOff. I found a couple of Godzilla books and a Star Wars Monsters book for a buck a piece. Woohoo!

 


I even scored a cheap Puffy CD that I don't think I already own.


(While listening to it, it does sound awful familiar though.)


I was looking for more Eko Eko Azarak books or DVDs at these places to no avail. So I'll just post today's postcard without further ado.


I didn't feel like cooking so I decided to do something really Japaneasy and dine on sushi. I went to my local Conveyor Belt sushi place but the fish weren't floating around, I had to order them freshly made.



I only ate 6 plates, some soup and karaage so it cost me 1500 yen and I didn't stuff myself.


Finally here's a link to today's Cryptkeeper, Monster Movie Kid.

2 comments:

Bob Johns said...

I love that Godzilla that is super cool! SIx plates!?! LOL

Michael Jones said...

I'm very pleased with my acquisition.
As for the six plates, each plate had two pieces of sushi.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails