2023-10-17

The Flighteners!

One of my teaching gigs is a handful of students at a Flight school. My particular class is the second year of those who wish to become Airport Staff, comprised of 7 gals and a dude. I gave them a homework assignment to make a presentation about their favourite Yokai. In the lad's case, he chose a Witch from his hometown of Karachi, Pakistan called a Churel چڑیل. Since he drew most of his info from the Wikipedia page, I'll direct you to do the same. He did a great job presenting it and Air Dropped it for everyone to view his Power-point presentation. Unfortunately, I neglected to save it past its 10 minute limit. He also told an example of the Bride of Karsaz. In an effort to not freak out the girls, he kept it gore-free.

STORY OF THE BRIDE AT KARSAZ
From time and again many people have reported seeing a woman dressed up in red bride clothes on the road of Karsaz, Karachi.

The three gals who did Not use their tablets in presenting, wrote the following:

(Click the above pic to embiggen.) We'd already learned of Rokuroku-kubi (top) and of Kappa (bottom) in previous blog entries. The middle one is Sunakake Babaa who is known as "Sand Throwing Hag", you may know her from Gegege no Kitaro. I never knew she was a Tanuki!

The other image I scammed from the net is this one from Power Rangers. She looks like an S&M Gremlin.


The other gals also Air-dropped a message. I managed to save one of them. I also spoke of Hanako-san earlier. (Just scroll back in the blog. I can't do all the work for you.)


The girl who spoke about a Tanuki, giggled throughout her presentation.


The above is an example of what you can find when you Google it yourself. This Tanuki is not affiliated with those that sit in front of restaurants beckoning in customers. Nor is the Tanuki from Ghibli's Pom Poko.

The most innocent of the Yokai would have to be Zashiki Warashi. (I also spoke of her earlier in my blog.)



Finally, the last of the presenters spoke of the Oni and gave a nice little speech about them, including a shoutout for Setsubun. Best part is the video she showed us about an Oni's Pants!


Unfortunately for the Nihongo-impaired, I was unable to find the English version that she used. (Take my word for it, it wasn't very good. 

On Thursday I have a class with a dozen elderly adults with a similar homework assignment. I doubt whether I'll get too many Air Drops.

I popped into the Mall on the way home just to see what's up. The Halloween decorations are starting to make way for Xmas. The Daisou shop has very little left.



The flower shop that occasionally sells pumpkins has some very tiny ones at not so tiny prices.


There are still a few places with some Halloweeny items.




 

Even the UFO Catcher hasn't much spooky stuff available. New KitKats though!


Finally, though not for Halloween per se, there is a Pop-up store across from the Pet Shop. Just in time for the new movie.


Here's a Venom for ya, sitting atop some Tsum-Tsum style erasers.


Oh right, before I forget. I watched "Talk to Me" about a Ouija-Hand! Not too bad.

For a different take on the Countdown, check out Me and You and a Blog named Boo.

I'll be heading to a different mall tomorrow afternoon. Wonder what I'll find there...

2 comments:

Deadpan Flook said...

I did recognise Sunakake Babaa from Gegege no Kitaro! 👍 Just didn’t know her name!

As always, loving the yokai (not so sure about the S&M Gremlin though!)

Most of the shops over here are still packed with Halloween stuff, although I am seeing Christmas starting to try and sneak in…

Michael Jones said...

The Christmasfication had begun even earlier at Costco.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails