2021-10-19

Bedlam and Broomsticks.

I'll go straight into today's Ukiyoe... 

Yoshifusa Utagawa etched this of Kiyomori at the Nunobiki Waterfall.

Along the same lines, Kuniyoshi painted this rendition of Kiyomori visiting the Nunobiki Waterfall whereupon Nanba no Jiro is struck down by the ghost of Akugenda Yoshihira.

I need a segue to tonight's movie now. How about William Hogarth's A Rake's Progress about his final days in the insane asylum at Bethlam Hospital (Bedlam)


It's a pretty lousy segue yet it does allow me to speak of the movie I watched tonight called Bedlam. This 1946 gem stars Boris Karloff as the Head Physician of the Bedlam Asylum, offering those with a tuppence to view his loonies. Billy House as the wealthy Mortimer and Anna Lee as Nell, the gal who takes pity on the inhabitants stand out.

  

         

Most surprising to me is seeing the immortal Ian Wolfe as the Greatest Lawyer (also a Loonie). He was ancient in this movie and barely aged twenty years later when he was Septimus and Mr. Atoz in two episodes of Star Trek. 15 years, later he looked exactly the same age as Hirsch, Mrs. Carlson's butler on WKRP.



Not very much Halloweeny stuff going on so far, so here is a Bearbrick of The Phantom of the Paradise!


(Hey! I just figured out why it was so cheap. It's missing a hand!)

To top it off, I have some chocolates that I have yet to consume featuring Jack and the gang.

I'll end tonight with a Kana-Hebi (Grass Lizard) that one of my Grade 3 kids proudly showed off for me.


2 comments:

Deadpan Flook said...

Oh, I'll need to add that Boris Karloff film to my Halloween watchlist!

Michael Jones said...

It is great. I love the dialogue throughout, Shakespearean in depth. Yet, you need not put it on a Halloween list. Not mysterious or spooky or eerie. I'd save it for a Karloff marathon such as on his birthday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails