2021-10-13

Spooky Ukiyoe or Spookiyoe!

I went to bed early last night, therefore, I missed out on an entry. Here then is one about spooks.

The other day, I happened to link a picture of Cookie Monster as the Great Wave of Kanagawa by Hokusai. Sometimes, those pesky little algorithms actually benefit us and this little video about the artist showed up on my suggested list of YouTubes


Pretty interesting but I noticed that Hokusai also painted something called, "100 Ghost Stories" so I was off to the GoogleThis article has a few of these paintings, my favourite of which is this:


This led me to discover A Gathering of 100 Supernatural Tales and the recitation of Kaidan. Which coaxed me into an old post of mine about the Kaidan Restaurants stories. But let's stick to ghosts for now. such as this painting by Maruyama Okyo depicting yurei (ghostly spirits) for the first time entitled The Ghost of Oyuki.


Now that's creepy!

Dinnertime now, hopefully later this evening, I'll get up to my usual hijinx and feature more than just ukiyoe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails