2022-10-08

WwBN.

Late last night, I caught the very first Marvel TV Special featuring Werewolf By Night. I loved it from beginning to end! Without getting all spoilery, I will make a few observations. 

I liked WwBN comic when it first came out. I missed a few first appearances but read it consistently from about issue 5 onwards. Mike Ploog rules. Ploog also ruled with early Man-Thing art of which I read every issue. I also read and enjoyed the first few appearances of Ulysses Bloodstone

 

Those covers were scammed from the internet. Enough comics talk and back to the special.

Opening credits...AWESOME! Cameo head appearances by several famous monsters. Great fight scenes albeit a little gruesome for Marvel. I'm sure the black and white format helped. ALL the leads were wonderful. Ted looked great! 

The dude who played one of the hunters, Jovan, is Kirk R. Thatcher. He was the punk on the bus in Star Trek IV who was taken down by a Vulcanized nerve pinch. There are a few nods to Wizard of Oz in this special and Kirk also happened to direct Muppet Wizard of Oz!


Another unintentional coincidence is that Verussa Bloodstone is played by Harriet Sansom Harris. She was also Frasier's agent on his sitcom. The dog Eddie on that show was a Jack Russell Terrier. Awooo!

Nice little heads up to several (not all) the creators in the end credits.


Furthermore, I like this Special Thanks as well.


I hope there will be future TV specials and many more horror characters brought into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. One small quibble about this show was the lack of mention of Moon Knight. Ah well, it was only 52 minutes long.

I happen to have a few items of a lycanthropic nature in my collection. Such as this Silver Bullet.


Apparently if I keep it in the freezer and then place it in shot of whiskey, it'll remain cold.

I also have another boozy item. I think it's a spout that attaches to a wine bottle so it pours slowly and grotesquely. 




I also have a large sticker, though nowhere to stick it.


No Wolfman t-shirt handy. How about a Frankenstein instead?


I've already watched two Dr. Phibes movies today and the new Scooby Doo. Yay Velma comes out! (Spoiler but Google spoiled it already.)


I probably going to watch a werewolf movie now that I've never seen before. (Ginger Snaps, maybe.)
May I suggest that you check out AEIOU and sometimes Why just to see what they've got cooking this Countdown...

2 comments:

Deadpan Flook said...

Just watched this last night myself! I’m also lucky enough to own a signed doodle of ‘Werewolf by Night’ by Mike Ploog, who I met at a comic-con a few years back. I didn’t know at the time he had worked on The Dark Crystal and The Black Cauldron though, or I would have had got a doodle from one of those instead! 😁

Michael Jones said...

His name showed up often in the credits of 70s and 80s cartoons. I cannot name a single one without Googling, but I did see him occasionally.
(Okay I Googled. First ever Scooby Doo and Wacky Races!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails