2018-09-20

Meet The Beetles!

I had three weddings on Saturday, so I didn't make it to the 28th Annual Jozenji Street Jazz Festival until late in the ballgame. My Saturday night was spent listening to a couple of Beatles tribute bands but the photos I took were really really poor. (So, what else is new?) Blame the lighting and the hundred heads in my way.



After that, I spent a few hours at Ernie's Bar listening to Alex's DJing as Dizzy Apparition. And then I went home...

Sunday morning, I managed to drag myself out into the rainy day around 1:00 and went straight to Nishi Koen hoping to hear a pal's band play. Upon disembarking from the subway, I came across a VW Beetle show.




On the way, there was a Big Band playing some Glen Miller that I could hear while crossing through the park. Pretty good.

Less appealing was the act that preceded my friends. A whole lot of Meh.


I had a few minutes so I had some chicken and spuds.


My friendly gang. They all received a chestnut KitKat!



Meet Lemon Tree! Dreamy Girls!




The gal on the right has a lovely voice. I'm fairly certain I heard her in previous years singing with another band.


That drummer is Yukie, who I have known for many many years now. Others in the band often play at Halloween and St. Patrick's Day at Hapenny Bridge.

By this time, I'd hooked up with my friend Mike and we wandered for the rest of the afternoon watching the umbrellas blocking everyone's view while listening to tunes.


A few Hula gals above and a Jazzy quintet below.




For the last few years, I've had my picture taken with this girl, Manami, outside the Jim Beam stand. She flagged me down for the photo op this time.


We rested for a while and listened to these hairy guys. Nothing special but it gave us a chance to rest our waterlogged bodies and catch up on Facebook.


After that, we popped over to hear the Panamans belt out some Reggae tunes.






Sheesh, that guy is skinny!


Next up were Earth, Wind and the Gang.


I was hidden behind a building so I could sit down and had a rather obscured view of the band. Still a good spot for people watching.



At the same stage but with a better view, I met up with my friend Ed and Rie, whereupon we "enjoyed" a Steely Dan band. The lead singer was pretty good but completely lacked in charisma. His keyboard player and "Saxy" band-mates definitely made up for it.




I briefly chatted up the saxophonist afterwards and wished her well on her future solo career.

Next up is someone I only know as Yoshie N.






I loved her voice and preferred her to the follow-up singer who was the headliner.


For the finale, I made my way to the main stage and heard a Doobie Brothers tribute band.



Of course, I joined the hoard of fans who danced in front of the stage.


Not the JAZZiest of Jazz Fests, but when has it ever been?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails