2020-08-14

Holy Crap...

I haven't been out on the town for ages, perhaps twice in the last half year!. Tonight I met Alex for a Rooftop Patio Beerfest! We went to Lion's Somethingorother near Ichibancho because it is cheaper than all the rest.


40 bucks, all you can drink and eat in two hours. We got our money's worth. About six beers a piece plus yakiniku meat and veggies. Added bonus...a cute waitress who took a shine to us and extended our last order!!


So we spent two and a half hours of chatting and drinking and eating and avoiding other patrons. It was well spaced out and everyone had to take a forehead temperature check before entry, so it seemed safe enough.

After that we, ventured over to 100 Shops Marketplace for a few more brew...


Alex knew of a joint with retro toys and so that was our next stop. So cool!


This elephant used to be out front of a Drugstore chain, but everyone kept stealing them. I'm not saying that this one was obtained illegally but...


Some menko... But it was so dark in the joint, I couldn't get a good look at them.



 Ooh, more goodies...


Best of all was this vintage Space Invaders desktop game. Whoa, that is the game upon which I was first weaned. I approached it and the old guy behind the bar yelled, "ダメだ!" Which is Japanese for "Get the F*ck away from there!" Okay, chill out man! We ordered our drinks and were quaffing our Lemon Sours when the guy went to the machine and played it the entire time that we were in the joint! Hey, way to rub our noses in it, dude!


Once we paid our tab and left, the guy was much friendlier. Still...what a douche!

We were looking for another place in which to imbibe and while Alex was peeing, I espied this joint with three patrons (including two staff). It seemed to have a bunch of vintage records so I thought Alex would enjoy it. The gal flagged us in and we were blown away by the decor. Andy Warhol posters, Che Guevera on the covers of mags, those vintage albums and then I saw this.


Holy crap! A half dozen copies of 70s Archies! I Nerdgasmed and exclaimed, "Holy Crap!" As I leafed through them, I espied a copy of Weird Worlds #1. Once again I bellowed "Holy Crap!" and then much to my surprise, she gave me the copy of the book!!


The condition was less than stellar, neither cover was attached and it sort of crumbled in my hands, but I was blown away by the find!

So we settled in and listened to several old albums (Sam Cooke, Stones, a copy of To Sir With Love, etc.) and enjoyed our Gin and Tonics. Every now and then, I'd look around the room and exclaim yet again, "Holy Crap!" as I saw some vintage items, such as this. Two Starsky and Hutch figures mint in box! Also an old school Barbie and a Charlie Brown!


Another drink and another Holy Crap later as I discovered a pristine Dukes of Hazard Colouring book with none of the puzzles or pictures touched.


I was running out of Holy Crap moments, and just settled for a photo of Bettie Page.


A few GandTs later and we wandered off to our next locale, Suu's bar, Dragon Diner. He as well as everyone else in Japan have been hard hit by the lack of customers, so he greeted us with open arms (but at a safe distance, natch.)

I knew he had a birthday coming (Saturday, sooner than I'd thought) and so I had prepared a present for him. Based on this huge figure looming in his lobby, I assumed he had an affinity for Rat Fink.


So I just happened to have a handful of RF stickers handy.


After that, I trudged to catch the last subway and am now enlightening you with this Drunken Blog.

Holy Crap! I noticed in the bag in which I carried my comic, towel and tea home that there were some fragments of paper. My copy of Weird Worlds continued to deteriorate...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails