2019-09-18

Chicken George!

I have tons of catching up to do wrt. blogs (eg. Tokyo trip, Jazz Fest, etc) because I have been really lazy of late. Hopefully I'll get caught up before the Countdown to Halloween begins in a few weeks!

Today, I popped into one of the several 2nd Street locations today (specifically the one en route home in Minami-Sendai) just to see if I could find some cheap Halloweenish goodies. I didn't. I did though find a few items of interest to me. Several weeks ago, I was in a Mandai location and noticed a guy buying up a bunch of Ultraman Kaiju which I think were on sale. I gave him a thumbs up and he proudly showed me the bottom of the foot of one and it said "Japan". Most figures this millennium sport "China" in that same place and I've noticed that stores often sell the older ones at a premium. I'd always wondered about what makes one cheaper or more expensive and this is my first clue.

So since there were dozens of figures on sale at this 2nd Street, I checked out the feet and sure enough, I landed a few figures at 300 yen a piece. I've seen similar ones selling for 900-2900 so I may have scored a win. (Or not, regardless, I like the kooky kaiju from the Ultraman Universe.)

Here's a few. I don't feel like looking them up on the Net right now to confirm who is whom, so I'll leave that task to the Kaiju Otaku amongst you. (Their names are also written in Katakana under the foot but the lettering is rather tiny and my peepers ain't what they used to be.)






I also landed a couple of Kamen Riders from '89.


At a BookOff, I managed to find a couple of Kubricks for a buck each, a Blackjack and whatever the dude on the left is.


Oddest of all that I found today was this Wacky Walky Toy of Chicken George.


It's not exactly in pristine condition, otherwise I could probably sell it for 30 bucks or so. I only spent 500 yen for it so I may open it up and play with it.


I've never heard of the comic from which it came, here is a review of Fourteen that'll give you a good idea of what the manga is all about and here is a Pinterest page featuring tons of artwork.

Now I'd like to see a crossover between George and mild-mannered Henry Cabot Henhouse III, better known as Super Chicken!



More tidbits to come!

1 comment:

Bob Johns said...

I need to dig for some of this Super Chicken! That show looks fun and yeah I would probably open the toy myself

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails