2024-10-02

What Did You ex-Spectre?

Before I decided on daily Junji or Yokai entries, I had planned on adding covers of some of the comics I have at a friend's in Canada, on consignment or here with me now. BUT, I forgot to add a comic yesterday. So I revised yesterday's blog entry to include a comic and I found a new snake.

So without further ado, here are a couple of comics for your perusal.


Too bad, there's that nasty 7 encircled on the cover in ink. I gently scrubbed with an eraser. Meh. A little better.

These two comics are probably the oldest rarest ones I own.

So what's the deal with spooks today? I watched the first episode of Junji Ito Maniac: Tales of  the Macabre. Not very spooky, but kooky and all together ooky. I detect a tribute to Charles Addams incarnation of his eponymous family. This wacky family conduct a séance to speak to their dear departed dad. 

Here is the title card for the Netflix show.


"The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Seance"(The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Seance)
Transliteration: "Kaiki hikizuri kyōdai: Kōreikai" (怪奇ひきずり兄弟・降霊会)
A photographer with an interest in spirits and ghosts pays a visit to the very strange and creepy home where the six Hikizuri siblings live. (Scammed from Wikipedia.)

Here is the manga where they first appeared.
I must say, the manga transfers to anime rather well. If you can track down the series, the episodes are only 22 minutes long, so easy to digest in small bites. If you can't, here is the author commenting on this episode. Lots of spoilers!! (Doesn't Mr. Ito bear a resemblance to the older son?)


Speaking of ghosts, here are some Gatcha with ghostly features.

 

For a Yokai, beware the Azuki Baba (Another BABA!). This old hag washes red azuki beans in the river while singing a ghastly song. Turn away once you hear it begin or she'll EAT you! 
(Mwaa-haa-ha!)


I'm certain I could have dug through the archives for a more ghostly yokai, but I'm doing this alphabetically.



I don't really have a spooky treat handy, so how about some stickers? This shop exclusively sells stickers and there's a new statue in front of the entrance.



Click around at B-Side Label and you may find a sticker you like and they do do international shipping.

That's plenty for today's entry, I'll ask you to scoot over to another blogger's page, this time it's Deadpan Flook...
More comics and Junji and gatcha and yokai and other stuff tomorrow!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails