2006-12-17

Tokyo Woes.

I've had a busy week, so my postings have been sporadic (and lazy) ones. Primarily YouTubings, so here comes another one.

One of my pet projects had been finding and posting anti-Japanese propaganda from WWII, and I've found a doozy. This has to be one of the most RACIST depictions of my adopted land to date. Mel Blanc can do many great voices, but his Japanese does tend to have a Speedy Gonzales-Mexican twinge to it. And to clear up a few of the stereotypes here, not every Japanese person wears incredibly thick glasses have huge protruding teeth. Most wear contacts and the British have much worse teeth! (Tongue placed firmly in cheek.)

So here goes a Warner Bros. Cartoon produced for the Navy with a little-known character by the name of Mr. Hook. It was directed by Bob Clampett of Bugs Bunny fame. So sit back, put your brain on neutral, and "enjoy" this cartoon. (Apart from the racism, there are some funny bits here, I love the "Zoot Suits" worn and when the Sad Sack gets boobies.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails