2006-12-09

Tomorrow World.


Last Thursday on Men's Day, I went to see Flags of our Fathers. A nice looking picture, pretty good action scenes but ultimately it was dull, dull, dull. You know that the movie you're watching is uninteresting when you notice, "Wow, the costumes in this movie are great. They're sure to be nominated for an Oscar." I plan to see the "sequel" next week, "Letters from Iwo Jima." I hope the Japanese characters will be more interesting than the American ones, even if all the dialogue is incomprehensible to me.










But the evening was not a total loss, for I had a few hours to kill before the flick, so I watched another movie. I love メンズデー because movies are only 1000 yen. I saw とゥモローワールド, the Japanese title for "Children of Men" based on the PD James novel about a dystopian future set in 2027, where no child has been born for 18 years. This was the most depressing movie I've seen in years and I loved every minute of it. The future of a devastated world where terrorism reigns and England is the only sovereign state still in existence was truly bleak and there wasn't a single redeeming character in the movie.

Guernica by Picasso is one of the few works still in existence in an art gallery for the rich.







Michael Caine portrayed a retired Political Cartoonist who grows his own ganja and he was the only one with an ounce of humour about him. Word of advice...Don't pull his finger!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails