2017-06-19

Aqua Terrace.

On Saturday, I wandered over to Hillside Mall in NishiGaoka and visited the Aqua Terrace Aquarium there.
For 800 yen, you gain entrance to the facility and I was all prepared to be duly unimpressed. Very happy to be proven wrong. I'll start with this picture of a lizard because I want it to show up as my thumbnail since it was the best pic I had snapped.


The first creature you meet upon entry is this Horseshoe Crab.



I didn't take notes, so I won't be able to enlighten you on the names of the fishies and creepy crawlers, so I'll remain somewhat mute and just let you enjoy the denizens of the deep.




I dipped my mitt in the Touch Zone and little fishies nibbled my pinkies.




In the Reptile Zone! (Amphibians too.)














For some reason, some of the exhibits are guarded by little green Army men!



Most of the displays had quirky little extras to them.



















From here on in, we have entered the Fantasy Zone!


 An oopa-loopa (Mexican salamander, aoxoltl).







Surprisingly, there were several living paintings (like Harry Potter portraits with fish).





 I found Dory!

And Nemo!




Whoa! Stormtroopers!





Pinky and the Brain!



A very cool Koi Pond!


Above, the carp are just swimming around placidly.


Then I bought some little fish food pellets and chaos ensued!








The next several pictures are colourfully lit.


















Hard to see, but there are a few Chin-Anago (mini phallic sea eels).


Here's a cute little song about them.




As we exited, we were lucky enough to see some Owls!



We were lucky enough to be there when a staff member fed the Tawny Owl some meat. I asked her what kind of meat and she replied, "hiyoko", which is chick. (Please note, I am not referring to a disparaging name of a female, but rather an actual baby chicken).



The other owl just stared enviously.

And there were a few other creatures under glass so they couldn't escape and do you bodily harm (or you do bodily hard to them).








As we finished our hour-long tour of the Aqua Terrace, I felt that we really got our money's worth.

 Finally...


As you can see, my daughter looks just like me!

Happy Father's Day everyone!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails