Another One Rides The Bus.

When last we spoke, I was about to partake on a bus journey to Tokyo with a half dozen fellow Canucks and that trek did indeed occur via Yamagata and Niigata (Google them.) I met the Consular, an old friend Nigel with his wife & son, and a new friend, Louis.

We waited around an hour to see if there were any other stragglers and outside the City Hall rendezvous, there were a couple hundred people waiting for a portion of rice to feed their families. I espied a lady with daughter and gave her a can of peaches and another old lady was given a roll of TP (neither of them wanted to accept them..."Crazy gaijin giving stuff out...beware!", but eventually they did begrudgingly appreciate and take me up on the offer. From the bus of our impromptu tour, I took a few pics of Nigel & son and several photos of long lineups.

Once we got out of Sendai and onto the Highway, the lineups were less frequent (though not non-existent) and we could just sit back and enjoy the scenery while sharing horror stories of the past week.

Once we made it to Yamagata, we stopped at the Army Base in hopes of filling up. Our hopes were dashed and we continued on with enough fuel to make it to Niigata where we may have to change buses.

En route to Niigata and shortly after our pee break at Yamagata-Ken Kankobussan Kaikan (which had lots of fresh fruit and over-priced touristy-goods), we found a gas station whereupon we acquired a full tank!

After we picked up our hitchhiker (Louisa) from Fukushima in Niigata, it started getting dark so I stopped snapping. At the Canadian Embassy we were met by an envoy of Consulars who fed us sandwiches and then popped us on a shuttlebus to our Hotel (not comped by Canada by the by.) At our buffet breakfast, we probably ate more than we had all week!

Let's close with a picture of the Godzilla tissues (saved for an emergency) that I gave Nigel and some
before and after photos of the disaster. Scroll to and fro to see the pre and post.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails