2011-04-30

Godzilla Park!

Why am I just learning about this now? I'm fairly certain that had I known of its existence, I'd be very successful as a tour guide there now. I went pubbing on Thursday (9pm-5am) and as I am wont to do, at one stop (Title) the patrons and I had a Godzilla chat. One of the guys is from 横須賀 Yokosuka which is apparently the birthplace of the Big G. It happens to be the home of The Perry Landing Park (ペリー上陸記念公園) which marks the place where U.S. Navy Commodore Matthew C. Perry landed from his squadron of "black ships", forcing the Tokugawa Shogunate to sign a treaty of peace and friendship with the United States, thus opening the country to the world after 250 years of isolation. It also lays claim to Kurihama Flower World or Kurihama Hana-no-Kuni (くりはま花の国). This park is renowned for its 1 million blooming poppies from Mid-May to Mid-June, and beautiful cosmos flowers from September-mid October. It also has a nice herb garden and children's play area with a large Godzilla slide. This native of Yokosuka states that it is no coincidence that Godzilla arises from that town and he suggests that Godzilla is naught but Perry in Kaiju clothing.

He showed me a map of the area which I photographed and here are a few pics of this very prestigious locale. Definitely on my "to go" list!





Oh yeah, I also went to Ernies and chatted up some of the locals.
Including my Mai.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those first 2 may be ladies now, but they weren't always. snip snip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails