2017-04-11

GitS!

I'm not talking about the British insult, "You stupid git!", rather I'm referring to Ghost in the Shell, the classic manga turned anime movie turned anime series turned live action movie. I saw the original movie back in '95 and was astounded by its depth. The remake with Black Widow Scarlett Johansson was not well received stateside yet Japanese audiences seemed to enjoy it. (That link is to an article in which Japanese praise the movie.) There are many stories to be told in the GitS universe, this is just another tale. Scarlett was a tad stilted but, hey, she was playing an android/cyborg policewoman. One of her fellow cops, Batou, was played by Pilou Asbæk who also starred with Scarlett in her first solo effort as an action heroine, Lucy.I liked the rest of the cast as well and you just can't beat Beat Takeshi for entertainment. All in all, don't listen to the naysayers, go see it and judge for yourself. You may enjoy it even more if you know nothing about GitS-World.

Here are a couple of Clear Files I picked up.












The book on the right is an adaptation of the original movie. The one on the left is an English translation (with footnotes!) of the original manga. Unfortunately the movie adaptation is a little bit naughty (you never catch Scarlett baring her breasts) so I'll focus mainly on the manga.







Finally, here is a picture of a Tachikoma. I came across this cutie at a pizzeria next door to I.G. Productions which showcases many posters, goods, and signatures of their artists.


I have other GitS goodies around, I'll try and locate them and show them off later.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails