2016-06-30

Dynamic Dynamation!

Today is the birthday of Ray Harryhausen, the master of Dynamation who brought hundreds of creatures to life with stop-action animation. Today, I thought I'd pay tribute by showing off 10 of his figures from 10 of his best movies. I sought these Furuta figures about a decade ago and managed to complete a set. Here are some more details.

In no particular order than the movies I like best, let's start with 3 of his skeletons and Talos from Jason and the Argonauts.








Next up is the Cyclops and Centaur from two of his Sinbad movies.



Ymir from 20 Million Miles to Earth.


It Came from Beneath the Sea featured a giant Octopus, though due to a lack of two tentacles was nicknamed the "Sixtopus".


This handsome creature is the Mooncalf from First Men in the Moon



Finally, we have the robotic Alien from Earth vs. the Flying Saucers with a Flying Saucer in the background.


I love all of the above movies, I fervently wish that Furuta would put out a second series of these. I'd love some of the other creatures that he'd created!
Check out the label, Ray Harryhausen, to witness some other figures I have shown in the past.

Here is a documentary (with Japanese subtitles). It showcases a lot of his best work.



Oh no! I just noticed on the box of these figures that there is a limited edition Secret figure. Damn! Now I have to seek it out as well! I wonder what it was...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails