2009-09-28

It's PEPSIMAN!


One of the first things I collected here were PepsiMan Caps. I had never seen the commercials but I did see a big billboard of him above a game center in Shibuya when I went comic/toy shopping. Apparently, PepsiMan was so popular that they came out with a PlayStation game in '99. There's a Canadian connection as well for WILDCATS comic artist, Travis Charest first drew him!



The first series was out before I arrived to Japan and it was a fairly innocuous set of 100 Sports-affiliated poses. I have never felt the need to track these down.



The next year, they came out with PepsiMan with various types of fast food and PM posing in the Alphabetic letters in PEPSI (see above.) I managed to track down the junk food at Flea Markets over the years.






My first year here, they came out with the PM Accident Series. These were all very amusing but I've only retained 4 of them. I suspect I gave a few of them away as souvenirs.






















Hey, here's Korea's version of PepsiMan!




I'll discuss the next two series on Friday (my inaugural Halloween post) but the last one to come out was the Exercise series. I'm missing Diet Pepsi (and the purple-socked alternative!)















Here you can see several commercials in a row, there are a couple of amusing ones...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That pepsi-man in leg warmers will haunt my dreams tonight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails