2009-10-13

Gronk Gronks.

Having an insomniac morning, I watched a bit of Seinfeld and then at 6 am on SPACE (the Canadian SciFi Network), I caught the opening of Hilarious House of Frightenstein. Any wee Canadian lad was addicted to watching this show on CHCH in the early 70s (Saturday at 10, right after Spiderman) myself included.




I finally fell back asleep after watching a few sketches but upon awakening I decided this would be a good place to revisit. I was going to talk about Vincent Price's poetic contributions, such as the:

Opening Poem: "Another lovely day begins, for ghosts and ghouls with greenish skin. So close your eyes, and you will find that you've arrived in Frightenstein. Perhaps the Count will find a way to make his monster work today. For if he solves this monster-mania, he can return to Transylvania. So welcome where the sun won't shine, to the castle of Count Frightenstein!"



and the

Closing Poem: "The castle lights are growing dim. There's no one left but me...and him. When next we meet in Frankenstone - don't come alone."



But my favourite character was always Gronk, the big purple sea-monster who always interrupted a flustered Count and ended the skit with a bad joke. Click his name for a few sound-bites! I'm sad to say that, his performer, Joe Torbay (also Harvey Wallbanger) has passed away at the age of 68.



G'nite Gronk!

2 comments:

Erick said...

Gronk!

I love HHOF. I grew up watching it on a local Cleveland station.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

How did I miss this! I need a time machine to relive my childhood. This is awesome!

Cheers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails