2020-10-19

Kappa Captured!

Two and a half years ago, I went to the small town of Tono and visited the Folklore Museum there. I took several photos and you can view them at that link, or check these out. 

(Hint: unless you have twenty-five minutes to spare and are fluent in Japanese, AND are not sleepy, you can check out a presentation of several folk tales. We didn't really have that much time, we are not especially fluent in Japanese, and I DID nod off.)








I don't recall looking up last time so I missed all these cool banners.





Check out this particular pair of pics. This will be part of a theme...



That Kappa appears to be up to some mischief.

In the gift shop is Kitty-Kappa...


I picked up a Kappa for myself.



Outside the museum were a pair of Trick or Treaters seeking Soft-Ice Cream.


And a neighbouring restaurant.

 

We took a slight detour en route to our next destination to check out the 100 yen shop. 


I saw a very familiar Kappa and a homemade Kappa costume.


Throughout the town, Kappa are on many road signs. 


Now the reason for our trip, revisiting the カッパ淵 (Kappa-BuchiKappa-Pool). (Click that link to find out how to get there.) Last time we went was on my birthday two years ago (see link at the top) and this time the weather was far less inclement. First up the entrance to the Shrine.

 



This time the river (stream) wasn't at all murky and very clean. 


This dangling cucumber (its favourite snack) is a permanent fixture, hoping to snag a Kappa.

 



I got in on the action and went fishing for a Kappa myself. 


I almost got one but she was busy breastfeeding her pup/kit/tadpole? what is the name for a baby Kappa? Let's go with Kappette



Inside the mini shrine.





Contemplative...


We drove past a display outside a farmhouse and I had to stop to photograph all the sculptures. 














What a strange place to put the hose. Or is it a catheter?




I think that's a cucumber in his hand, but I could be mistaken.


So ends part one of my trip to Tono, more tomorrow.

Just a couple more Yokai from Europe before bedtime. First up is your typical Shoku-shiki or Ghoul Demons. These ghouls tend to eat fresh corpses but will occasionally dine on young children.


ハールシンキ (Harushinki) is a progression of  demons. Suggestion, they'll disperse if you bleat a trumpet.


ピクシー Pixies!

Today's Halloween treat is an Apple Pie KitKat!




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails