2020-10-10

Ol' Blighty!

There are a few Yokai from the British Isles besides the Irish. Here are a few from England. One of the most famous European Yokai has to be the 狼男 (Okami-otoko, literally "changing man").


Thanks to Henry Hull (Werewolf of London), Lon Chaney Jr. (The Wolf Man) and David Naughton (An American Werewolf in London), and Scooby-Doo (Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf), werewolves have often been portrayed as sympathetic creatures. I must say I like the Yokai version a lot.


ケルピー (Kelpies) are shape-changers that hang around the Lochs and pools of Scotland.


I don't know much about the one below though he does turn up in a Nintendo game somewhere.


Next up are コーモラン (Comoran: see this link about Jack the Giant-killer) and ゴブリン (Goblins, which don't need much explanation.


ドラキュラ伯爵 (Dracula, I've added his formal title of Count) doesn't need much introduction so I won't bother.


I found this guy for a buck a few days ago. I'm not sure what series he's from though he should fit in well with the above entry.


I wasn't aware that Pucks were a collective creature, I only knew of the one from A Midsummer's Night Dream. パック do look dashing in their formal headgear.


Finally, we have ブラウニー (Brownies) who also hail from Scotland. My sister was once a Brownie, that explains a lot.


It appears that this with this entry, I have once again duplicated myself. 8 years ago, I also wrote about the Yokai of The UK only in greater detail. Alas, all the pictures of the Yokai were weirdly askew, this time they're all right-side up. 

A quick treat for you is this tiny cheesecake KitKat.


This entry was supposed to have been written last night but real life got in the way and I've had a busy day today. Hopefully I'll have another entry in a few hours but first I'm going to sit back and watch new animated The Addams Family

1 comment:

Guillaume said...

The vampire looks very cool. I must watch Werewolf of London.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails