2007-02-06

The Peasants are Revolting!


"You can say that again." This is a Wizard of Id cartoon I remember from my youth and it came to mind at the end of Marie Antoinette, Sofia Coppola's latest movie of the eponymous Queen of France. I wasn't expecting much to a packed house of young women (and one other guy whose girlfriend had dragged him along) but a few minutes into it, I began to really enjoy it and was content throughout. Of course, I was the only one snickering at some of the lines, and I especially loved Rip Torn as the King and his affair with the sultry minx, Asia Argento. Kirsten was lovely, though in one scene when crying, I wasn't sure if she was sobbing or giggling.

It is up for Best Costumes this year, and though it has competition from other period pieces, it is a definite contender. My only qualm about the movie is that everyone is eating constantly and there's not a fatty in the bunch! (Wasn't Louis XVI supposed to be chubby?) I don't recommend this as "drink a lot of beers and hoot & holler" type of guys movie, but if you must take your girlfriend/ spouse/ mistress to see a flick this Valentine's, you could do much worse.

It also has a great classical/operatic score and a kick-ass soundtrack with some pop-punk tunes by Bow Wow Wow ("I've Got Candy" and "Fools Rush In"), Siouxsie & The Banshees ("Hong Kong Garden")and Adam & The Ants ("Kings of the Wild Frontier".)

Oh yeah, my date, Motoko, was never lovelier, even with the toothache.






Did you know that there was a Manga/ Anime series back in the early seventies called: "The Rose of Versailles" (ベルサイユのばら Berusaiyu no bara), also known as Lady Oscar, by Riyoko Ikeda, which is one of the best-known titles in 少女のマンが (shōjo manga manga for young girls) all about "Marie"?
Well, now you do!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails