2007-02-25

Show me the Monet!


I went to Fukushima City (in Fukushima Prefecture, about 25 minutes south of Sendai by Shinkansen) in order to check out the Impressionist exhibition at the Fukushima Art Museum. My first impression was not so impressive. My 10 minute walk to the museum took about an hour, but chock that up to my terrible sense of direction. I finally met a couple of ex-Soma pals who were patiently waiting for me there.












A bit of Monet, Manet, Picasso, Kadinsky (about 1 painting each...not so impressive) but Chagall had a whole hall to himself. They had on display up a book of poems that he had illustrated. I was very impressed by my ability to understand most of the French. Every exhibit was in Japanese and French (no English anywhere), it really stretched my High School recollections of Mr. Yashar's French class.












There was also a display of Japanese wall art from the Edo period and the one really creepy piece that I liked was not for sale as a postcard. Here is a postcard of a chopped up fish that was displayed. It is a 鮭 (sake = Salmon) and was painted by 高橋由一 (Takahashi Yuichi) in 1878. If you click on the picture, you can enlarge it and check out all the gruesome detail.













Marc Chagall, "We all know that a good person can be a bad artist. But no one will ever be a genuine artist unless he is a great human being and thus also a good one."
















Pablo Picasso "Art is not made to decorate rooms. It is an offensive and defensive weapon against the enemy."

















Wassily Kandinsky "Art, like love, has a fine detail to it. You need to know exactly what is going on."

















Claude Monet クロード・モネ (Claude Monet, 1840年11月14日 - 1926年12月5日)は印象派を代表するフランスの画家。

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails