2011-01-04

Science Fiction, Double Feature.

Well, it didn't take long to post obits this year.
Farewell to yet another Forbidden Planet star (are there any left? Just checked...Earl Holliman is still around.) The best song of Rocky Horror is this post's titular theme tune that starts, "Anne Francis stars in Forbidden Planet."



Fare-also-well to Pete Postlethwaite who made even a bad movie great (I'm talking to you Lost World.)



I'm sure another celeb will snuff it shortly so we can add a third to my Trio of Death label. Stay tuned.

I didn't get to see many movies this year (14) but I'll give you a rundown of what I saw. At the bottom of the list is Clash of the Titans. I tend to like bad movies thus I found myself enjoying myself despite all the titanic flaws in it. That same day, I saw another movie, Prince of Persia which I preferred but it's nothing to write home about.

In an animated vein, I never got to see Despicable Me, Toy Story 3 or any of the other sure-to-be Oscar nominees though I did get to see ヒックとドラゴン (How to Train Your Dragon (which I think came out in 2009) in Japanese and also in Japanese (duh) was Arrietty which was the loveliest film of the year!

I also saw Expendables, Inception, Alice in Wonderland and Iron Man II and enjoyed them all. In my top five, I'd have to include Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, Wolfman and Tron Legacy. (I never did give you a review for Tron, so read this guy's instead. He says it all much better than I ever could.)

My Number One film of the year has to go to a movie that probably none of you will ever get to see...大江戸りびんぐでっど or Oo Edo Living Dead.



If you do get a chance, go see it! You'll be glad that you did. (Who knows, Anne and Pete might make a cameo in it!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

still no Coraline 3D review?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails