2011-10-15

Replay's The Thing:

I'm a huge fan of The Thing. Based on John W. Campbell's 1938 novella, Who Goes There? (which you can read if you click it), I saw the original, 遊星からの物体X (Yuusei kara no buttai X or The Thing from Another World), when I was a kid and it freaked me out. (Watch it here!)




I saw the John Carpenter version of 遊星からの物体X or The Thing 30 years ago and it freaked me out. I went to my DVD cabinet to snag a few photos from it and though the case is there, the disc is nowhere to be found. I have a feeling it's on loan to someone, somewhere...





"Don't worry, it's 'armless!"



I've never played the PS2 game, but if I were to, I'm sure it'd freak me out.




I'd like to see the new version and hope to be freaked out (if it ever gets to Japan, that is.) If any of the North American masses watch it this weekend, please give me a review.



Then I saw this and it's just freaky!



I saw the above and it was the inspiration for today's post. I guess we'll have to call today's post, Sci-Fi Saturday. I'm sure we can all agree that "The Thing" ranks up there as one of the scariest movies of all time.

UPDATE: I was leafing through my Nov/82 copy of Starlog (Japanese) and came across three Thing pics. I like how they refer to the Thing as a "Newcomer" and the stills from Howard Hawk's classic are pretty sweet too.


I just realized that I am one Baconian degree away from this movie for I worked with and spoke to one of its stars, Wilfred Brimley!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails