2017-10-16

Finding McCay's Nemo.

Yesterday was the 112th anniversary of the strip, Little Nemo in Slumberland. When the movie came out, I loved it and gave a VHS copy to my niece when she was 5 or so. She watched it often and I watched it with her when I visited.


What I did not know is that it was a Japanese/American co-production. Ray Bradbury created the concept for screen, Brian Froud was among the design developers, Jean "Moebious" (sic.) Giraud was the Conceptual Designer and that both Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata of Ghibli fame were once involved in the project. The Japanese side of things went to TMS Entertainment's and here is their version of Little Nemo.












If you can read Japanese, here is a synopsis:





The pamphlet includes a write up on creator Winsor Zeric McCay (actually Zenas Winsor McCay but I can forgive the translator) and a copy of one of the strips





There's an interview with co-director, William Hurtz.





Here's the rest of the cast and staff:




By a wacky coincidence, this is what the tea I bought was called.


In order to add a little Halloween to this post, I learned of a Youkai called a Suima today. My friend's student explained to him that when she is trying hard to concentrate, she is sometimes accosted by the Sleep Monster and begins to doze off. (If I ever get into a fender bender on my way home from work due to drowsiness, I'm going to use the Suima excuse.)

I looked it up in the dictionary and it bears a resemblance to a Kelpie, a water demon which brings floods.

Here's a ukiyoe rendition of a 水魔 / Suima, 1932 by Sayume Tachibana.





Kohada Koheiji, 1831-1832 by Hokusai Katsushika. He's a cutie but I don't think he's a Suima.


How about these two? Not very frightening, I'm afraid.



I guess I'll have to do some more research in order to find a true Suima!

Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails