2007-03-14

"Whatever is Worth Doing at All is Worth Doing Well."

Thus quoth, Lord Chesterfield.

If you do the math, I started University in 1977, my first Curtain Call in '78, four Curtain Calls later and I should be graduating the April of '81. You would be correct. But after working as a Security Guard for a precious metals plant for several months, I made enough money to return to school on the pretense of attempting a Masters. But in all honesty, I just took a few courses so that I could join the cast of another Curtain Call.

Gidget Goes to Guelph was the first one not based on a specific musical, but it was a tribute to several Beach movies and Gidget. It was also my first non-chorus role and true lead.

My opening line was, "Hi, I'm Chester Field, how do you like me so-far?" And so I enter the annals of history playing yet another nerdy nebbish, but this time with more lines, a love interest and a solo! Every night, I had a "I've been a washout since the day I was born" monologue and every night I changed the suicide method for the finale joke. Cast members waited in the wings in order to hear my speech, and this gave me a better feeling than the laughter of the audience. I spent most of the night in boxers, a Viking outfit, a football uniform (Hey, I scored the winning touchdown for the Gryphons!), my famous mauve suit or a towel. I'll let the photos speak for themselves...






































































In the early 80's there was a one-hit wonder called The Rodeo Song, and I performed a spoof of it, donning a towel and complaining of the Porter (Blair, of course) who pissed me off...

"Well it's the first day of school and I feel like a fool,
Got nothing but a towel and I can't even find my key.

There's no Porter to the left, no Porter to the right,
C'mon ya big dummy, get back in sight,
Get off the can, you great big jerk, you know,
You piss me off, you get on my nerves!

Well, here comes the Porter with a bottle in his hand,
He looks kind of mad do you think he'll find my key?

There's no Porter to the left, no Porter to the right,
C'mon ya big dummy, get back in sight,
Get off the can, you great big jerk, you know,
You piss me off, you get on my nerves!"

And then I did a silly dance...





Man-oh-man, I loved Curtain Call!!
















ps. My father died on Valentine's Day, 1982, and the Director allowed me the weekend off to attend the funeral. But the show must go on, you know!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails