2007-03-11

Golden Shower Anniversary.

50 years ago this week was the very first Curtain Call at the University of Guelph, my old Alma Mater. This year it seems that they're going to be doing a performance of "Urinetown". So if you're in the neighbourhood, go check it out.

So what? You may ask. Well, almost 30 years ago (!), I was in a production of Uglahoma. Uglahoma was surprisingly well written, considering we were tampering with the script just days before opening night. Many moons ago, Guelph was just a little Cow College affiliated with the University of Toronto and this was the story of how we gained our independence and became our own University (sound familiar?) I was just a lowly Chorus person but I had a few memorable scenes, such as the "Star Wars" battle between the Vets and the Engineers or the panty raid on Mac Hall.










I've made note of some of the tunes from the play that I posted back here, though I changed the lyrics a bit to fit into Japan. Over the next little while, I'm going to post the programmes and hopefully some photos of days gone by.



One song I still remember, "Elora", goes to the theme of "Green Acres":

"Elora is the place to be
Farm living is the life for me
Land stretching out so far and wide,
Keep Toronto, just give me that countryside.

Toronto's where I'd rather stay
I get allergic smelling hay
I just adore the Royal York.
Darling, I love you but must you have that fork?

You are my wife {Goodbye Disco life.}
Elora we are there..."

The people I met at this and subsequent Curtain Calls became some of my closest friends. Some of whom I still keep in touch with, others...not so much.

Be sure to click on any pic to enlarge...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails